Skip to main content
World ball focus Bonn

Research in Bonn

Your next career step

Why come to Bonn / Germany?

Germany is an ideal place for studying and doing research! Higher education at world-class level, bustling cities, beautiful landscape and plenty of people from all over the world.

Germany is located at the heart of Europe. More than 83 million people live here – the most populous country in the European Union. Germany is one of the European Union's founding members and works to promote closer integration among the countries of Europe. As a member of the United Nations (UN), Germany is committed to safeguarding world peace, complying with international law, protecting human rights and maintaining and driving forward the promotion of international cooperation, in accordance with the UN Charter.

Students sitting at Hofgarten Park in Bonn
© Volker Lannert / Uni Bonn
Microscope in bright colours
© Volker Lannert / Uni Bonn

Innovative ideas have strongly shaped Germany’s past and will surely continue to do so in the future. Germany has produced a long list of revolutionary inventions, such as the automobile, the airbag, X-ray technology, Aspirin, the computer, the chip card and the MP3 data compression format. In Germany, more inventions are patented than in any other country.

First steps in Germany

After your arrival in Germany you have to take care of important formalities.

Find accommodation: We recommend finding an accommodation before you arrive in Germany. You’ll most likely have to find a place to live on your own, because in contrast to other countries, German universities do not automatically assign rooms, even if you are a student or PhD student.

Enroll into university if you are a PhD student: All students have to enroll at university before they can commence their studies. The certificate confirming enrolment is called 'Immatrikulationsbescheinigung'. It’s an important document that you’ll need on future occasions. After you have enrolled, you will receive a student ID.

Obtain a residence permit: As soon as you have found accommodation, you have to register with the local residents' registration office. The office gives you a written confirmation of Registration (Meldebestätigung). After that, you can apply for your residence permit.

  • a passport (possibly with visa) or personal identification card and
  • a completed and signed housing confirmation from your landlord,
  • possibly a registration form from the residents' registration office.
Students arriving in Bonn
© Meike Boeschemeyer / Uni Bonn